Jace Herondale, previously and widely known as Jace Wayland, is a lethal and expert Shadowhunter—a skilled soldier in their war against demons. Just like Rory, he was taken in by the Lightwood Family. Jace is the adoptive son of Robert and Maryse Lightwood. Jace is the adoptive younger brother and parabatai of Alec Lightwood, and the older adoptive brother of Max and Isabelle Lightwood. Jace is the boyfriend and love interest of Aurora Fairchild.
When Aurora came back to the institute Jace decided to help her find the mortal cup. Jace wanted to stop Valentine in the process as well as end a war.
Early life Edit
Physical Description Edit
Jace is very well-known for his good looks. He has short blond hair, long eyelashes, and his eyes one is blue and the other is brown because he has sectoral heterochromia. Jace's eyes turn gold when he uses the rune abilities he possesses due to his angel blood. He has a lean, slim muscular build, broad shoulders. One of Jace's upper incisors has a slight chip. Like all other Shadowhunters, he is covered in runes. Also like all shadowhunters he wears dark clothing and leather with fingerless black gloves.
Personality and traits Edit
Jace thought he was Clary's brother.
Jace is seen as narcissistic, gorgeous, determined and an expert Shadowhunter, Jace is a natural-born leader and is Alec's second-in-command whenever on assignments with him, Isabelle and Aurora . Jace is headstrong and often prefers to act first and ask permission later. Tough, resourceful, and confident, Jace takes slaying demons in his stride, often admiring himself while he does so. He is incredibly loyal to his allies and will stop at nothing to help and save them when necessary. Jace is prepared to risk his life and standing with the Clave to protect others, easily doing so to prevent harm to others. Just like Rory as the adoptive son of Maryse and Robert, he has a fierce love for his adoptive family, especially his adoptive siblings Alec, Isabelle, and Aurora whom he can be quite protective of. Like most of his kind, Jace was raised to view love and feelings as a distraction from their sacred mission, though he is not completely averse to it either. Jace had always been independent and somehow self-possessed, having been taught not to betray himself to emotions as a child. Jace is usually sarcastic and humorous. He is also incredibly stubborn, as seen with his recurring arguments with Alec. He can be impatient and easily annoyed when things are not moving forward, or when his skill is called into question. Beneath the humor lies a darker side, one where Jace has always felt like an outsider and was further driven to believe he was tainted after Valentine's lie. He is prone to excessive drinking and indulging in sex to distract himself from more negative emotions, preferring those outlets to talking about his feelings with someone. Jace is also shown to be gentle and sentimental specifically towards Aurora he has a sensitive touch towards her,
Powers and Skills Edit
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Jace possesses a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to him by the angel blood of Raziel in his veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and coordination, which continue to improve over time and practice.
- The Sight: As a Shadowhunter, Jace is naturally and easily able to see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Shadowhunter, Jace is also able to perform tasks unique to their species, such as the ability to use and call on the power of angels for their seraph blades, as well as to handle any heavenly weapons or objects with effect, which would normally not work for other species. In particular, these are tools made of adamas and forged by Iron Sisters.
- Parabatai bond: Due to his parabatai bond with Alec Lightwood, Jace is able to call on more strength in battle and is able to use certain runes or magic exclusive to parabatai. The runes drawn on him by, or shared with, Alec also give a considerably stronger effect. This also allows them to parabatai track.
- Angelic blood empowerment: Like Clary, Jace has pure angel blood, due to an experiment performed on him as an unborn child, and this apparently gave him enhanced strength, speed, and others superior to those of normal Shadowhunters'. While all Shadowhunters have the angel Raziel's blood in them, the fact that he has even more, directly extracted from Ithuriel as a result of Valentine's experiments while he was still in his mother's womb, contributes to his superiority in certain fields and other enhanced aspects beyond the normal Shadowhunter parameters
- Rune activation: Jace is able to activate runes on his and others' bodies without having to use his stele. When he does this, his eyes turn gold.
- Blood connection: Because of their angel blood, Jace and Clary share a connection, both with each other and with the source of their blood, Ithuriel. In addition, Clary's blood relation to Jonathan Morgenstern gives Jace an indirect connection to him as well.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Jace is highly skilled in armed and unarmed combat. Jace is considered a legend going from Idris and a lethal fighter. He can overpower most including Isabelle and Aurora but is overpowered by Alec
- Expert swordsman: Jace is highly skilled and proficient in swordsmanship. He is extremely skilled with seraph blades
- Skilled pianist: Jace is highly proficient in playing the piano, from being under the tutelage of Valentine Morgenstern during his childhood.
- Basic Shadowhunter gear, including: a steles, seraph blades, and witchlight.
- Herondale family ring: When Imogen Herondale learned that Jace was a Herondale, she gave him the family ring, which previously belonged to his mother, Céline.
- Seraph Blades: This is his choice of weaponry
Aurora Fairchild Edit
Aurora and Jace began with a constant exchange of teasing or sarcastic remarks, but eventually began to show that they care for one another, especially as Jace volunteers to be her tutelage. They both challenged authority, and their relationship with their family and colleagues, more than usual in their attempts to help and look after each other especially Jace looking after Rory, and despite his initial "Never to fall in love" outlook, he began to fall for her and her for him as well.
After a mission together, when Rory thought that she had killed Jace, They kissed, and the pair began seeing each other. However, the trickery of Valentine that Jace and Rory couldn't be together put a halt in their budding romance. Her issues immediately forced her to shoot down her feelings for Jace, and while she seemingly moved on with Simon, Jace struggled visibly and blamed his lapse of judgement—his love for Rory and she also struggled to move on and just hid her feelings. Jace was eager to tell Rory that he still loved her very much but decided against it when he thought that Rory was happier with Simon.
Rory's feelings for him, which she'd tried to suppress, were brought to the surface by the Seelie Queen who, using trickery, forced Rory to kiss the one she truly wanted: Jace. Liam broke up with her, and some time after, when tensions had died down between the three, Rory and Jace, afraid of losing each other without giving them a shot, stopped trying to fight their feelings and kissed, kicking off their relationship.
Unlike with any of his past flames, Jace chose to take things slow with Rory, not wanting to risk letting Rory see something in him she wouldn't like. Jace is especially gentle towards Rory and her emotions because he considers her to be priceless and invaluable
- Kaelie: Kaelie was just an occasional sexual thrill for Jace but they become enemies after she attacked Rory and her brother was killed when the soul sword was activated.
The Lightwood Family Edit
Alec Lightwood is Jace's best friend, adoptive brother, and parabatai—his fighting partner. Just like Aurora Jace was taken in by the Lightwood Family. Alec and Jace have always been best friends and are fighting partners like Izzy and Rory are together. They argue frequently over actions and choices because never liked the rules. Alec like many others is especially aware and supportive of Jace's feelings towards Rory and vice versa. They are incredibly loyal to each other. Alec is older than him and can beat him in battle.
Isabelle and Jace are like brother and sister and he considers her family. He makes fun of her often, but is also affectionate of her. Jace and Isabelle also train together. Isabelle again is the moral compass of her siblings (Jace, Rory and Alec) because they disagree sometimes and often argue. Isabelle as much as she cares for Rory's feelings dismisses Jace from doing anything idiotic.
Max idolizes and looked up to Jace. This although Max is sometimes mean and blunt. When Max is harmed Jace would find anyway to save him or help him.
Just like Rory, Maryse's loves and cares for Jace as much as she cares for her biological children, even though this was not evident to Jace in his youth. She goes as far as to lie and try to trick the Clave in order to protect him, knowing that losing him would be as hard as losing one of her children. There was sometimes favoritism being that Maryse was much fond of Alec and Jace considering there supposed maturity than Rory and Izzy and Max. Maryse is willing to make efforts in repairing her wrongs, putting pride aside in order to make amends with her family. A while after she was let go as the head of the Institute She showed more affectionate. When Jace found out about Robert's affairs he also told Maryse to leave him and they began keeping in more touch with each other. She supports his love for Rory and Rory for him.
Like Maryse, Robert loves and cares for Jace as much as he cares for her biological children, even though this was not evident to him in many situations. When Jace found out about his affairs he supported Maryse and became even more strained with Robert losing contact.
Valentine Morgenstern Edit
Jace grew up thinking that Valentine was his Michael Wayland, his father, and that it was Valentine that killed him. He developed a desire for vengeance, against Valentine and his men.
Valentine revealed himself to be the man who raised him. Jace is shown a deep hatred towards him just like Aurora but Aurora even more. Valentine taught him that "To love is to destroy, to be loved is to be destroyed
Despite their history, Jace acknowledged that Valentine had been using and manipulating him, and recognized that Valentine corrupted him with his teachings and attempts of making him into his soldier. When manipulated into joining Valentine if he wanted to keep his friends and family alive, Jace was subjected to exercises and tests of his powers and abilities, as well as torture, both emotional and physical. Valentine pushed Jace as much as he could, claiming he was his most prized experiment, and that Jace was a weapon designed to eradicate Downworlders. Valentine raised Jace to be his actual and it is hinted that Valentine did care for him in his own twisted way and that Jace was favored over Rory's brother.
Imogen Herondale Edit
Jace never knew that Imogen was his grandmother just like Imogen never knew that Jace was her grandson. When Imogen found out she did whatever to save him from Valentine. Imagine wasn't particularly nice to Jace but then the revelation she actually started acting like a grandmother. Imogen noted that he looks like Celine.
- Magnus Bane: Close Friend and Ally
Liam Odette Edit
Jace and Liam Odette didn't start out as good friends. Jace originally despised and looked down upon Liam. Jace still doesn't really like Liam. They first began with regular snippiness and teasing. Jace only tolerates him because of Rory. When Rory couldn't be with Jace, Liam took the opportunity to be with her. Jace after Valentine's lie wanted to be with her but saw that she was supposedly happier. But her true feelings were revealed to be for Jace which ruined each of their relations for their own goods. Liam didn't want to talk to Rory and went to a bad place, Rory put herself to work, and Jace wanted to talk but they then put their things aside and came together
Jace is the nickname given to him by Maryse, derived from his first name, Jonathan Christopher. The name Jace is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Jace is: a healing.
Jace has taken on many last names. first it was Wayland which is of English origin meaning "land beside the road." Jace always considers himself a Lightwood of Latin origin mean 'flames of fire' which are endorsed in wood. He is born a Herondale. The name Herondale comes from the words "Heron" and "Dale". "Heron" is a bird and "dale" is another word for valley, esp. a broad one.
- Jace is left-handed and can play the piano.
- He loves Chinese food
- Just like his actor Jace is allergic to apples.
- Jace also hates liars and has stated that he never used to lie, something Isabelle and Alec confirmed. However, he lies several times to keep the people he loves safe.
- Just like his actor Dominic Sherwood who plays him Jace has sectoral heterochromia