Isabelle Sophia "Izzy" Lightwood is a Shadowhunter of the New York Institute. She is the 1st daughter of Robert and Maryse Lightwood, is the sister of Alec and Max, is the adoptive sister of Jace Herondale and Aurora Fairchild. She is the niece of both Luna and Jocelyn. Isabelle was first introduced as the Lightwood who had amazing beauty and was promiscuous. She was then believed to be shown truly deep down. She actually had problems of a middle child. She is the heart of the group. There were displays of favoritism by her parents. She had to change herself because of this. She is extremely supportive.
She is portrayed by Emeraude Toubia
Early life Edit
Physical Description Edit
Isabelle is described as incredibly gorgeous despite the scars left on her skin from the Shadowhunter runes. She has long, ink-black hair that goes down to her waist, and dark brown-gold flecked eyes. She shares the same slender eyebrows, pale, high-colored skin as her brother Alec. She is said to greatly resemble her mother. She is a little taller than Rory and has a small frame just like her. In the beginning is known to be fashionable and usually wears a dress and revealing clothing. Her style changes to more casual shadowhunter-like wearing.
Personality and traits Edit
Isabelle is compassionate, warm, charming, and is generally welcoming to new friends. Despite her beauty and kick-ass combat skills, Isabelle is seen to be the moral compass that keeps her brothers and sister, Alec, Jace and Rory in check in tense situations, though she is also seen to have a bit of a defiant side. Isabelle is not afraid to speak her mind and isn't afraid to break rules, a trait she shares with her adoptive siblings Rory and Jace. She is able to stand up to higher ranked individuals for what she believes in and fights and argues to get the point across whenever necessary.
She is a skilled seductress who can seduce any man, both Shadowhunter and Downworlder, into either complying with demands or maintaining confidential information. She enchants pretty much anyone who meets her. She is incredibly comfortable with her body; in the past, she wore revealing outfits with no qualms—a way of standing up to her mother's strict rules. During that time, she often acted as the bait or distraction to lure demons.
Isabelle is also equally skilled and deadly in battle, particularly when using her weapon of choice: her whip. Isabelle is feisty, talented, intelligent, and well-educated.
Isabelle is very supportive, protective, and loving towards her siblings, urging them to do what makes them happy. Isabelle often seeks to comfort those around her, although she also has a strict and disciplinarian side, particularly when it comes to training. She worries about her family a lot, and had a hard time accepting that Max was ready for his first real mission after training him for it.
She is fiercely loyal to her family and loved ones, willing to let go of her own happiness if it will make things better for them. Despite this, she will fight for what she believes is right even if the odds go against her, and would only cede and make the necessary sacrifice or adjustments when she sees the sense in it and how it would contribute to the greater good. Isabelle is shown to have the big sister instinct all of her siblings: Max sees her as a role model, Izzy is extremely supportive of Alec's queer shadowhunter self, and she is extremely hearted to bothe Jace and Rory when they feel like outcasts and damaged.
Powers and Skills Edit
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Isabelle possesses a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to her by the angel blood of Raziel in her veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and coordination, which continue to improve over time and practice.
- The Sight:As a Shadowhunter, Isabelle is able to easily see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are all able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Nephilim, Isabelle is also able to perform tasks unique to their species, such as the ability to use and call on the power of angels for their seraph blades, as well as to handle any heavenly weapons or objects with effect, which would normally not work for other species. In particular, these are tools made of adamas and forged by Iron Sisters.
- Marabatai: Isabelle is the marabatai of Aurora Fairchild. Marabatai is completely different than parabatai. their minds are linked they have the ability to sharing their thoughts, memories, emotions or feelings it is like a psychic link or symbiosis between each other. They can feel each others feelings whether it is elation or vengeance. They can get empowered by their emotions. an example is when Valentine had Magnus, Sebastian provoked Aurora by saying things that made her angry and cry, Isabelle held her own hand on her heart feeling those emotions.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Isabelle is highly skilled in armed and unarmed combat. She is an expert in fighting and can hold her own. She is skilled but is overpowered by Jace and Alec but can overpower Rory.
- Whip master: Isabelle is highly skilled in using a whip, able to use it to exert power and control over her enemies.
- Forensic pathology: Isabelle is shown to be skilled in the study of forensic pathology and is referred to by Jace and Alec as the best in New York. She was even able to perform an autopsy on a strange new form of Forsaken and was able to successfully deduce what made it special. She is an expert, well-versed and highly-trained in studying the bodies of both mundanes and all creatures of the Shadow World.
- Bilingual: Isabelle fluently speaks English and is shown to also speak Spanish.
- Expert Seductress/Seduction Intuition: Isabelle possesses innate seductive skills and charming allure which she can use to almost easily and efficiently seduce and manipulate anyone of either the same, opposite, or entirely different species of sex. She possesses intuitive knowledge of how to make people feel sexual arousal, lust, bliss, euphoria, pleasure, etc., and can almost always make anyone and themselves feel immense sexual satisfaction.
- Basic Shadowhunter gear, including: a steles, seraph blades, and witchlight.
- Lightwood family necklace: Isabelle inherited the family necklace. The ruby pendant of the necklace also serves as Izzy's Sensor, pulsing bright red in the presence of demons.
- Isabelle's whip: Isabelle uses her trademark whip as a preferred choice of weapon. She shows a high level of skill and proficiency wielding the whip. The whip can also transform into a staff. When not in use, Isabelle wears it in the form of a serpent bracelet.
- Raphael Santiago
- Liam Odette (Hinted)
Alec Lightwood Edit
Alec is Isabelle's brother. Both are very protective of each other.
Izzy was aware of Alec sexuality from a young age, long before he came out. Isabelle, however, never talked to him about it, out of respect for his privacy and knowing that it would make him feel uncomfortable. She is always concerned about Alec's emotional well-being and his love life. Wanting Alec to be happy and open about his sexuality, Isabelle was quick to try and set him up with Magnus.When it did become public knowledge, Isabelle tried to protect him from other people's negativity and stood by her brother whenever she could. Izzy is sometimes at odds with Alec when needed to choose sides between her siblings and she sometimes breaks the rules
Jace Herondale Edit
Jace is Isabelle's adoptive brother. Jace and Isabelle truly act like brother and sister and he considers her family. He makes fun of her often but is also affectionate of her. He and Alec often make fun of her terrible cooking. When Jace first came to New York with them, though, it took a while for Isabelle to accept him, but they eventually bonded over their passion for fighting. Izzy holds a sisterly instinct towards him. Izzy is sometimes at odds with Alec because Jace breaks the rules almost frequently and they argue and when needed to choose sides between her siblings and she sometimes breaks the rules
Aurora Fairchild Edit
Aurora is Isabelle's adoptive sister and biological cousin.
Just like Alec, Izzy considers her a sister more than just a cousin and vice versa. just like Jace and Alec, Izzy and Rory are a sibling crime fighting team. They love talking to each other about relationships, family and what there feeling, training together and doing things together in general, Isabelle often gives Rory advice and stands as her moral support and vice versa. Isabelle was also aware of Rory's romantic feelings for Jace ever since they were younger. Both Isabelle and Rory were aware of Alec's queer sexuality and his liking to Magnus. Aurora disapproved of Isabelle's changing all for her mother. Izzy and Aurora in battles are seen fighting side by side in battle and they tell each other everything for example despite the fact that Jace told her not to tell Alec or Izzy about her abilities she told Izzy anyways. Izzy was there for her when the Seelie Queen manipulated her feelings. Isabelle labeled the Seelie Queen a "bitch" and protectively told Jace to back off as she wants Rory to be ok. Isabelle understand when Rory clashes with Alec. Isabelle and Aurora are protective of and would die for each other. When Rory found out about her Yin Fen addiction Aurora was worried and took it to heart. Izzy holds a sisterly instinct towards her. Izzy is sometimes at odds with Alec because just like Jace, Rory breaks the rules almost frequently and they argue and when needed to choose sides between her siblings and she sometimes breaks the rules.
Izzy and Rory are marabatai. Marabatai is completely different than parabatai. their link minds sharing thoughts, memories, emotions or feelings it is like a psychic link or symbiosis between each other.
Max Lightwood Edit
Izzy loves her younger brother so much. Izzy is protective of him. Max sees her as a role model
Robert and Maryse Edit
When her mother Maryse was still the head of the Institute, they had a strained and tense relationship. Maryse often treated her coldly and sternly and was disapproving of her choices and lifestyle. Maryse eventually told her that this was because she reminded her of herself in her youth: stubborn and passionate, which she realized too late made her a danger, as she became passionate enough about her beliefs that she'd joined the Circle.
When Maryse was dismissed as the head of the Institute, they were given an opportunity to finally have a mother-daughter relationship. Isabelle sympathized with her mother about Robert's affair and urged her to leave him.
Isabelle was once somewhat of a daddy's girl, having a close, happy relationship with her father Robert. At one point, Isabelle found out that he had been cheating on Maryse. Isabelle kept it to herself, knowing it wasn't his secret to tell, but when Maryse found out, she immediately suggested that she should leave him. Robert's visits to the Institute also became less frequent, and when he did, it was on Clave business.
- Magnus Bane
- Liam Odette
- Isabelle's name means "My God is a vow" in Hebrew.
- Her adoptive last name Lightwood is of Latin origin mean 'flames of fire' which are endorsed in wood
- Through Izzy's AA meetings, she found that one way to deal with her cravings for vampire blood was consuming sugar.
- Isabelle is allergic to tulips just like her actress Emeraude Toubia
- Isabelle was fascinated by the history of weapons as a child. She spent hours reading about close-range combat in the Institute's library