Alexander Gideon "Alec" Lightwood is the responsible shadowhunter son of Maryse and Robert Lightwood. He is the older brother of Isabelle and Max, and is the adoptive older brother and the parabatai of Jace Herondale and the adoptive older brother of Aurora Fairchild. Alec is the boyfriend of the High Warlock of Brooklyn Magnus Bane. Alec is a responsible leader who cares for the well-being of his people. He has had aspirations to be the head of the New York Institute since childhood, which he has now achieved. Alec plays the roles of the diplomat in his family.
Early life Edit
Physical Description Edit
Alec is the tallest out of his siblings standing at 6 feet. Alec has dark brown-black hair and hazel eyes. Just like other Shadowhunters Alec has scars left on his skin from the Shadowhunter runes. Alec shares the same slender eyebrows, pale, high-colored skin as his sister Isabelle. Alec wears black and leather clothing but to play the diplomat her wears somewhat traditional clothing.
Personality and traits Edit
As the eldest of the Lightwood siblings, Alec has a very serious, cautious and by-the-book demeanor, answering to the Clave for reports and missions, following every law and every rule. His strict moral code, for a time, compelled him to follow the law to the letter. He has a habit of being blunt and is extremely distrustful such as Liam, and his bedside manner is once referenced to be 'abysmal'.
Despite this, he is loyal to his friends and is fiercely protective of them, going along with his friends' missions to keep them safe even though he disapproves. Alec takes his duty extremely seriously and often steps in front of others to keep them safe, instinctively putting others ahead of himself and taking responsibility for and of others, regardless of whether he finds them agreeable or not.
Alec is gay but was in denial and reluctant to admit this to himself for years due to the pressure on him. This made him a deeply conflicted individual, torn between being himself and not bringing shame to his family. After meeting Magnus, Alec has chosen what would make him happy and is now proudly dating a man, and he has since grown more comfortable with himself.
While Alec can be harsh, he's also a deeply caring and affectionate person who won't hesitate to reach out to his family and be at their side when they need him. He's observant, and will often notice when someone he cares about is going through something, usually expressing concern when he does. Alec has a tendency to take responsibility for things and blame himself, especially in regards to people he loves being hurt or upset, even if he had little to do with the situation in the first place. When something is wrong, there's little he wouldn't do to put things right. Alec being the eldest of his siblings is incredibly wise and gives great advice toward his siblings. In the beginning of the series going through Alec plays the part of his family's diplomat. He is extremely protective of his family specifically his siblings Jace, Isabelle, Aurora and Max that he'd he even stop his own feelings to care for them.Alec even told Jace, Aurora, and Isabelle that marrying Lydia would ensure their protection (The marriage didn't happen) Alec is sometimes at odds with his siblings over the rules and laws. Alec when he started dating Magnus became more open and even though he is also a deadpan snarker in the family and has a black sense of humor he becomes much more comfortable.
Powers and Skills Edit
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Alec possesses a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to him by the angel blood of Raziel in his veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and coordination, which continue to improve over time and practice.
- The Sight: As a Shadowhunter, Alec is naturally and easily able to see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are all able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Shadowhunter, Alec is also able to perform tasks unique to their species, such as the ability to use and call on the power of angels for their seraph blades, as well as to handle any heavenly weapons or objects with effect, which would normally not work for other species. In particular, these are tools made of adamas and forged by Iron Sisters.
- Parabatai bond: Due to his parabatai bond with Jace Herondale, Alec is able to call on more strength in battle and is able to use certain runes or magic exclusive to parabatai. The runes drawn on him by, or shared with, Jace also give a considerably stronger effect. This also allows them to parabatai track.
- Expert hand-to-hand combat: Alec is highly skilled in armed and unarmed combat. He can overpower most including Isabelle and Aurora and Jace but Alec and Jace are sometimes equal in fighting
- Expert archer and marksman: Alec is highly skilled and proficient in marksmanship and archery. Alec shoots with great aim. a compound bow is his signature weapon.
- Bilingual: Alec fluently speaks English and is shown to also speak Spanish like his sister but he is also fluent in Italian, French, and Latin, considering it is the original languages and sayings of shadowhunters
- Basic Shadowhunter gear, including: a Sensor, steles, seraph blades, and witchlight.
- Bow and arrows: Alec uses the bow and arrow as his primary weapon of choice in battle.
- The Lightwood family ring: While Isabelle has the Lightwood family necklace, Alec has the familly ring. This is a silver ring crafted by the Iron sisters with adamas. Alec wears this as and heirloom worn as an heirloom by the members of the Lightwood family. In the center of the ring is the letter "L" surrounded by flames, the Lightwood family symbol, which is etched around the outer surface.
Magnus Bane Edit
When Alec met Magnus, Magnus showed an immediate attraction to Alec and openly flirted with him when they met; Alec, however, denied these queer feelings for his family and was unsure about his feelings for Magnus. Alec spent some time with Magnus after he helped save Luke. After Alec asked Lydia to marry him, Magnus distanced himself from Alec. At Lydia and Alec's wedding which ended quickly Magnus showed up and they share their first kiss and go out on their first date. Alec tries to maintain his love with Magnus as his relationship with a warlock somehow interferes with being a Shadowhunter. Alec and Magnus love each other mutually and powerfully. Magnus makes Alec comfortable in his own skin. Alec's siblings support Magnus and Alec's relationship and promoted it from the beginning. Maryse his mother took a very long time to accept this but began to accept him and the rest of her children for who they are. Before Magnus, Alec had never been in a real relationship and Magnus had been in 17,000 relationships before Alec which includes Camille. They are currently dating.
Isabelle Lightwood Edit
Alec and Isabelle are very close. They always look out for one another; Alec specifically feels largely responsible for her, being her older brother. Alec is also greatly affected when Isabelle in suffering, whether physically or emotionally.
Izzy was aware of Alec sexuality from a young age, long before he came out. Isabelle, however, never talked to him about it, out of respect for his privacy and knowing that it would make him feel uncomfortable. She is always concerned about Alec's emotional well-being and his love life. Wanting Alec to be happy and open about his sexuality, Isabelle was quick to try and set him up with Magnus. When it did become public knowledge, Isabelle tried to protect him from other people's negativity and stood by her brother whenever she could. Alec is sometimes at odds with Izzy over rules, rights or wrongs and etc
Jace Herondale Edit
Jace Herondale is Alec's best friend, adoptive brother, and parabatai—his fighting partner. Just like Aurora Jace was taken in by the Lightwood Family. Alec and Jace have always been best friends and are fighting partners like Izzy and Rory are together. They argue frequently over actions and choices because Jace never liked the rules. Alec like many others is especially aware and supportive of Jace's feelings towards Rory and vice versa. They are incredibly loyal to each other. Alec is older than him and can beat him in battle. Just like Izzy is mostly emotional support for Aurora and vice versa, Alec is Jace's emotional support and vice versa.
Aurora Fairchild Edit
Aurora is Alec's cousin as Maryse is her aunt. Alec became her older adoptive brother when she was younger. Alec has always considered Aurora his sister more than a cousin. Like a brother Alec is always hard on her and sometimes doesn't sign off on her decision making and breaking the rules. Alec is always there for her no matter what the cost and he soon realized how much it damaged her personally that she was Valentine's daughter. Both of them are aware of how they feel and who they are. Rory was aware of Alec's queer sexuality and his liking to Magnus and Alec was aware of her romantic feelings for Jace since they were younger. Rory supported him enough to know that when he was gonna get married to Lydia for his family she immediately didn't like this and told Lydia that no one would get pass her if he was hurt by anyone no matter who it is. Alec was one of the people that waited for something to happen with her and Jace. Alec and Rory would die for each other. just like Jace, Rory breaks the rules almost frequently and they argue almost all the time. Rory knows how much Aurora is hurt by her true origins and her own hatred for Valentine'. Alec is her emotional support.
Max Lightwood Edit
Max is Alec's younger brother. Alec cares for and loves his younger brother deeply.
Robert and Maryse Edit
Maryse is Alec's mother. Alec has a generally good relationship with his mother. Maryse had her opinions when Alec came out and wanted Alec to play the diplomat and get married, she was later more accepting of Alec's sexuality and relationship with Magnus enough that she made an effort to tolerate Magnus, and eventually to understand the nature of their relationship. Maryse soon accepted all of her children for who they are and began to keep in touch with them much more than before. When Alec found out about Robert's affairs Alec considered his father to be a bastard and a coward and lost contact with him
Robert and Alec were like father and son. When Alec found out about Robert's affairs Alec considered his father to be a bastard and a coward and lost contact with him. Alec stood by his mother
Liam Odette Edit
Alec was not immediately fond of Liam and his relationship with his adoptive sister Aurora. Though they never really became much of friends, they were allies who grew tolerant of each other's presence, because Liam is Aurora's best friend and more so when became Liam soon became involved with Aurora. Though they aren't close, Alec approved of the relationship with Aurora. Alec learned that Liam would go to the extremes to protect Rory. This but Alec also noticed that Rory didn't exactly in a lustful manner love Liam because she truly loves Jace. Alec comforted Aurora when her relationship was ruined with Liam and she was crying and completely upset.
Lydia Branwell Edit
Alec was initially critical of Downworlders, like most Nephilim. Eventually, Alec came to develop a sense of respect for Downworlders and began to perform the Nephilim's duties of helping Downworlders more wholeheartedly. He has since become a strong ally of Downworlders. Alec as the head of the institute started a treaty with the downworlders and held meetings.
- His full first name, Alexander, means 'defending men' in Greek. His nickname Alec: Scottish form of Alex, a short form of Alexander (defender or helper of mankind).
- His last name Lightwood is of Latin origin mean 'flames of fire' or ember which are endorsed in wood
- Before Magnus, Alec had never been in a real romantic relationship
- Alec is allergic to coconut
- Alec is left handed like Jace